Immunity Boosting through Ayurveda
Ayurveda states that some of the possible causes of ill health are: Irregular sleep patterns, improper diet, lifestyle choices (eg no exercise, smoking, drinking alcohol), and seasonal or climatic changes. These may be worsened by pre-existing health conditions.
Ayurveda has a long trusted solution called “Vyadhikshamatva”. The word Vyadhikshamatva is made up of two words, Vyadhi (meaning - to harm, to injure, to damage, or to hurt) and Kshamatva (meaning - to resist). Vyadhikshamatva promotes the body’s power of resistance to the primary occurrence of disease - in other words, building the immunity of our bodies.
Ayurveda focuses on prolonging life and promoting perfect health. It’s main motto is: Add years to your life and life to your years (“Swasthasya swasthya rakshanam‚ Aturasya vikar prashamanamcha”). And where disease is present, Ayurveda has described methods of its eradication and the maintenance of health.
Ayurvedic plan to build Immunity
Improve digestion: Ayurveda believes that impaired digestion is a major cause of recurrence in a number of diseases.
It is observed that during an epidemic/pandemic, those who have a weak digestive fire (Agni) are more prone to infections. And the chances of the infection getting severe are also higher.
How can we improve our digestion?
- Take easily digestible, warm and light food
- Practice intermittent fasting
- Drink warm water, add Cumin seeds to warm water and use throughout the day
- One can use different types of Ayurvedic herbs like Shunthi (Zingiber Officinale), Vidanga (Embelia Ribes), Pippali (Piper longum), Chitrak (Plumbago Zeylanica) to improve digestive capacity
Some of the Ayurvedic products to improve digestion available at www.ayurvedafamily.com:
- Bowel care
- Triphala Tablets
Regular Detoxification: Ayurveda recommends seasonal Panchakarma procedures to detoxify our body. These timely detoxification helps us to remove accumulated toxins created because of indigestion, wrong eating habits, and bad lifestyle.
Panchakarma consists of five detoxification procedures namely Vaman (Induced medicated emesis), Virechan (Induced medicated purgation), Nasyam (Nasal Cleansing), Basti (Medicated, Herbal enemas), Raktamokshan (Bloodletting).
Benefits of Panchakarma:
- Helps restore metabolic fire (AGNI)
- Eliminates AMA (toxins) strengthens tissue functions.
- Assists balance all three doshas.
- Helps implement a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Reduces stress, improves relaxation & tolerance.
- Slows the ageing process.
- Boosts the immunity levels.
- Improves strength, endurance and vitality.
Some of the Ayurvedic products to support detoxification available at www.ayurvedafamily.com:
- Detoxhills Tablets
- Aloe Vera
When it comes to your health, sleep plays a very important role. Aahar (Balanced diet), Nidra (Quality Sleep) and Brahmacharya (Regulated sex) are described as the pillars of the human body.
Sleep carries out important functions like development, energy conservation, brain waste clearance, modulation of immune responses, and improves concentration and memory.
Our body works on a biological clock so it is important to follow daily routines. Numerous studies on sleep and the Immune System have demonstrated that quality night sleep is important in maintaining a strong immune system.
Our Ayurvedic science discourages healthy individuals to sleep during the day (except in certain conditions) as it may cause many health disorders.
Methods to improve sleep quality:
- Prefer light and easily digestible food at night, 3-4 hours before bedtime. This will allow our body to process the food
- Opt for warm dim lights instead of heavy bright lights in the bedroom.
- Avoid taking caffeine drinks in the evenings
- Avoid use of bright screen like laptops, computers, mobile phones at least 60 minutes before bedtime to improve the quality of sleep
- Indulge in a soft head massage or massage your feet with oils
- Listen to soft relaxing instrumental music
- Drink water infused with Jatamansi (Nardostachys Jatamansi)
- Ayurvedic Herbs like Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Tagara, Jatamansi also show effective results when taken for a period of 45 days to 90 days in cases of chronic sleeplessness
- Sunidra, Cardimap, Nisha, Tranqwin, Zzowin are some of the products available at ayurvedafamily.com show wonderful results without side effects
- Exercise – Yoga- Pranayam
It is well known that exercise promotes strength, Stamina and immunity. Regular exercises help us to build strength which has a positive effect on building our Immune system.
It is seen that exercise increases blood and lymph flow as your muscles contract, it also increases the circulation of immune cells, making them roam the body at a higher rate and at higher numbers. In order to improve immunity, one should exercise regularly. Every day 30 to 45 minutes of walking and light stretching can be done. Apart from walking, cycling and running also helps in improving the immune system.
Yoga is yet another time-tested immunity booster. Yoga helps to deal with stress in a most natural way. Psychological stress can impact many systems in the body, including weakening the immune system and increasing chronic inflammation.
Some of the Yoga postures which help in strengthening the immune system are as under:
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Vrikshasana (Tree Pose)
- Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
And especially when it comes to respiratory diseases, regular Pranayama shows marvellous results. Pranayama helps to manage stress effectively. Anuloma and Viloma exercises help to improve the functioning of the respiratory system and clean the respiratory tract.
Along with sleep, a proper diet is also responsible to strengthen the immune system. A healthy and nourishing diet helps to build strength, stamina and immunity. Ayurveda has described diet in detail according to Prakruti (Ayurvedic Body Type) and as per different seasons in Ritucharya (Seasonal regimen).
Some Ayurvedic diet tips to boost immunity.
- Choose fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and light dairy products in your diet. As far as possible avoid using foods which are processed, prepared from artificial colours, artificial flavours, artificial sweeteners. Avoid food which is frozen to increase the shelf life or canned food or which is stored using lots of artificial preservatives.
Such foods lead to weakened digestion and create digestive toxins, that is Ama, which in turn is a cause of numerous diseases.
- Use immune boosting spices which gives a good flavour to food and additionally strengthen our immune system. Indian food recipes are always enriched with healthy spices.
Spices used in cooking have lots of medicinal properties. Some of the spices used to boost immunity are as follows:
- Cinnamon is one of the best spices well known for immune system boosting. It possesses very good anti-inflammatory properties.
- Black Pepper This spice increases the bioavailability of other herbs and thus improves their absorption and actions.
- Black Pepper: This spice increases the bioavailability of other herbs and thus improves their absorption and actions.
- Cumin Seeds which is a popular Indian spice, Cumin seeds are known for anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Vitamin C present in Cumin seeds helps to boost the properties of this immune strengthening herb.
- Turmeric is a potent immune boosting s It is an effective anti-allergic herb too. And this combination of Turmeric makes it even more strong to avoid frequent cold and cough, respiratory ailments during seasonal changes, cures sore throats, and relieves hiccups.
- Ayurvedic Choornas, Avaleha and Rasayan
As we have seen earlier Ayurveda focuses on prevention of diseases rather than cure. Ayurveda has a lot to offer for building up immunity and strength in a natural way free of side effects.
These Ayurvedic preparations are rich in healthy herbs which not only support the immune system but they also nourish the body, improve strength, vigour and vitality. Such preparations help in rejuvenating our body and possess anti-ageing properties.
Some of the Ayurvedic products which may help in boosting immunity which are available at www.ayurvedafamily.com are:
- Rajaratna Avaleha
- Chyavanprash Avaleha
- Guduchi Tablets
- Guduchi powder
- Amrit Kalash
- Amrit Rasayan
- Immune Xl